Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

My Losing Battle Against Font Signatures in Real Estate Contracts

[Published Oct. 31, 2013, in the Jeffco editions of the Denver Post's YourHub section]

I have, reluctantly, resigned myself to the fact that million-dollar transactions can be executed based on documents without any handwritten signatures, but I still don’t like it. This is what my signature looks like when I click on “Select Signature Font” instead of taking the time to sign with my finger, stylus or mouse:
 
JIM SMITH

You can’t choose a typeface when you sign for a pack of light bulbs at Home Depot, but you can do that to buy a $700,000 house — except at Golden Real Estate, where we require actual signatures.

When I was on the board of directors of the Denver Metro Association of Realtors, I couldn’t get a majority to agree that we should require buyers and sellers to actually sign contracts. And I couldn’t convince the Colorado Real Estate Commission to do so either. So I’ve given up.

What makes this reluctance to require actual signatures so silly is that it’s so easy to actually sign a contract. You can open the contract on your smartphone or tablet, expand the signature box and then sign with your finger.  If a real signature is so easy, why accept less?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment