Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Momentum Builds to Ban Font Signatures on Real Estate Docs

[Published May 9, 2013, in the Jeffco editions of the Denver Post's YourHub section and in five Jefferson County weekly newspapers]

Readers of this column are well aware that I have serious objections to the use of typeface signatures on real estate contracts.  You can read my April 11th column at www.JimSmithColumns.com, in which I announced that the Colorado Real Estate Commission has, at my request, put this topic on their June agenda.  The Attorney General’s office is researching the issue at the CREC’s request.

Meanwhile, the Independent Brokers Group, at its April 25th meeting, unanimously passed my motion urging the banning of typeface signatures, and the Government Affairs Committee of the Denver Metro Association of Realtors (DMAR) has sent a recommendation to the Board of Directors (on which I sit) to pass a similar motion which I’ll then convey at the CREC meeting on June 18th.

At Golden Real Estate, we have a company policy of not accepting signatures created by selecting a font. Users of CTM eContracts can disable that capability on their own contracts by clicking on “Utilities”, then “eContract  Settings”, then unchecking “Enable CTM Font Web Signature.”

No comments:

Post a Comment